Monday 19 August 2013

"The Black Magician" trilogy by Trudi Canavan


This trilogy was lent to me by a very good friend of mine. She'd actually lent me the first book a few years ago and I really liked it, but then exams happened and typical school drama, and so I got distracted and didn't get to read the sequels.

Then recently I went over to her place and I found them so I asked to borrow the trilogy and read the whole thing this time. Obviously she agreed.

I love magic, I live books on magic, I love fairy tales, and all that sort of stuff. If you're like me then you will enjoy this  trilogy cause it's got all the necessary  ingredients for a good fantasy novel. Also it's a light enough read and so it's actually quite relaxing.

The main character is a girl named Sonea who lives in the slum part of her city, Imardin. In Imardin there is a famous and well known magicians guild that only accepts novices from noble born families, and so when Sonea proves that she's extremely powerful they are pretty much forced to take her in and teach her to control her magic.

So throughout the book there isn't not just a mindless "magic fixes all" energy going on, there's also some class conflict, and a certain amount of social commentary which is interesting.

There's also some political conflict which eventually leads to war, and forces a lot of people to change the way that they see things.

It's a good story, and Sonea is a likable character, she's able, and strong-minded, and flexible, and kind. She's a good person that does her best to help as many people as she can with the means offered to her.

So if you're into fantasy and magic I would recommend this trilogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment