Monday 18 February 2013

"The perks of being a wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky


So "The perks of being a wallflower".

Not entirely sure what I think of this one to be honest. I liked it, I really did, but it's not really the kind of book I would read over and over again.

Now I know this is a really popular book so don't hate me. Like I said before I did think it was good and I thought it was really interesting and well done and I read it in one go.

So I am very far from saying that I didn't like this book. Right so now that's been cleared up, let us move on.

This book is an epistolary novel, and basically what that means is that it's in the form of letters written by a boy who says that his name is Charlie to an unknown person. So really the book is made to look as if the letters have been sent to you and you are the unknown friend. You're made to feel as if you are directly involved in the story.

He says that his name is Charlie because he wants to remain anonymous. So at the very beginning he tells us that all the people that he names, including himself, are fake names just in case. And then he tells us all about what happens to him.

Charlie is really smart, and shy, and he's not mentally 100% well. And by this I don't mean he's crazy, I just mean that he seems to have trouble understanding the world, and people in it. I understood this as him being slightly autistic, but I guess that's just the way I saw it.

Charlie seems to go through a lot, and so do his friends. There seems to be a lot of trauma for everyone. It's kind of sad. Nothing is easy for any of them.

Bittersweet. I think that's the perfect word to describe this book.

It's bittersweet because throughout the entire book there's this one consistent theme : the ones who you love the most (or the ones you think that you love the most), hurt you the most. And Charlie has such a large family and yet he seems to be completely isolated.

It's an interesting read that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment