Thursday 14 March 2013

"Picnic at hanging rock" by Joan Lindsay


My stepfather gave me this to read, which was why I was a little wary when I started reading it. He has a tendency to give me some creepy and/or odd things to read and watch.

Surprise surprise... it was weird. Good. But really odd. To be completely honest I'm not even sure what it was even about, or what actually happened.

Long story short this book confused me.

It's about these girls that disappear in the Australian bush. So you read the story and you follow these girls up to the point where you know they're going to disappear (cause it's written on the back of the book) and then nothing. Nothing at all. They're gone. Gone. And that's it.

The rest of the book is about the reactions of the people who were affected by their disappearance. And no one in the book knows what happened. Which means that when you read the book, you have no idea what happened.

And it's very, very frustrating.

And throughout the whole book you just keep wondering, and to keep myself calm I kept telling myself that all would be resolved at the end when we would finally find out what happened to the girls, and why and how they disappeared.

Yeah that didn't happen.

It was a good read though. It was interesting to see the different reactions of the people in the story depending on their characters, and even their social status.

I just wish that I knew what happened to those girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment