Sunday 1 September 2013

"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë


Every now and again I decide to read a classic. This time I chose "Wuthering Heights" for no particular reason, other than the fact that I happened to own a copy. Also my best friend loves it so I kind o wanted to understand why.

I really enjoyed it, even though I found it hard to get into at first. I think I had to make myself read the first three or four chapters, but after that it just went really smoothly.

This is quite a dark novel, because it's all about revenge, and grief, and manipulation. In this story love isn't portrayed as a good thing, it's shown more as something that causes quite a lot of trouble and heartbreak.

It shows you that one event can have consequences that can last for years, and that sometimes people are awful. Like really really awful. I mean Heathcliff, one of the main characters, that guy really knows how to hold a grudge. I mean really. Wow.

Towards the end I was just holding my breath for a happy ending, because nothing good seemed to happen to anyone, and to be really honest most of them deserved it. I mean it's the first time I've read a book where almost all the characters are just atrocious human beings.

All in all a good read, and its a classic so you get the added benefit of being able to be a snob to be who haven't read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment